Adopting Public Cloud
I attended a talk on benefits of public cloud, there are reams on it’s benefits and challenges, so I will only high-light some key points that are worth your considerations.
- The key themes are agility, elasticity and potential cost savings.
- It should never be about cost savings, we limit our vision by looking at the use-cases only via the prism of operating costs.
- Cloud enables agility, business agility to create new ideas, technology agility to experiment without significant costs and implement them.
- Multiple models exist as in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Function as a Service (FaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS). Generally steer to the right of this maturity model where feasible.
- Cloud will demand much more rigour around managing costs, use elasticity well and scale up and down as required.
- Be Agile, start small — if you have any new idea evaluate whether you can do it using public cloud, this will help you take action.
These are my personal notes and observations and do not reflect any official policy or announcement from any company. Please read here for legal & other disclaimers: https://paksha.info/standard-disclaimer